Tuesday, August 26, 2008

Silliness

It certainly wasn't my longest day ever, but it was a typical middle-of-the-week-and-already-way-behind type of day today. I'd been in the office for 11 1/2 hours and still wasn't done with all my work, but dinner was on the table and, living close to work, I drove the 90 seconds home to eat with the family. Driving up the street, the kids were all out front playing in the driveway with various rackets and balls. It was a great welcome home with waves and shouts of "Dad!". We quickly gathered up the balls and went inside to a nice dinner Mom had prepared. The mood was one of fun and silliness. Despite long days for each parent, the kids and the moods came together in that right combination of craziness without obnoxiousness, and the dinner was filled with "Christmas card cute" sayings from the kids and laughing fits from everyone. It's amazing how 25 minutes of silliness can erase a day's worth of stress. I learned that my 6 year old knows way too many words to the "I'm a Barbie Girl" (apparently passed down from the siblings who learned it from ???). And, with apparent diligence and practice, my 10 year old daughter can rapidly sing the entire score of the freecreditreport.com song:



I'm back at work now (ok, taking a short break to blog), it's 8:15 pm, but the day has been great thanks to a dinner table full of my family and silliness.

No comments: