Friday, August 29, 2008

Politics - sucked back in

This is not intended to be a political blog, and I was hoping to abstain from a lot of partisan comments on it (at least until late October), but, dang it, I got sucked back in.

This morning McCain announced Sarah Palin, governor of Alaska for one year, for his running mate?

Huh?

She's been governor of the state for a year and a half, and before that was the mayor of a town of 7,000 people. And they want her to be second-in-command to the potentially oldest U.S. President ever? She admitted last week that someone in her administration fired her former brother-in-law who is currently in a custody battle with Palin's sister - that's going to stir up controversy.

I'm guessing this is an appeal to the Hillary supporters, but I think the supporters liked Hillary not just because she was a woman, but because she was Hillary. Hillary definitely has her own unique style and energy, and I don't think Hillary supporters are going to jump over to a Palin ticket just because she's also a woman.

So we've got Biden, long-time Washington insider and chairman of the Senate Foreign Relations Committee, and Palin, 18 month governor of Alaska as the two VP choices. Ouch.

As an Obama/Biden supporter I'm pleased to see this move, but in a weird way out of respect for McCain, it's been hard to watch his politicking maneuvers slowly destroy his previous accomplishments. I think his legacy would have been much better had he not thrown his hat in the ring.

I'm just an average Jo, however, and anything can happen in politics, so I guess we'll see how all this shakes down. I'll be very glad when it's all over, however.

Ok, that's all the political commentary for a while.

1 comment:

Scott said...

I just wanted to point out that Slate.com's article on the GOP VP pick was titled: "Huh?"

They must be reading my posts (ha ha)

Link