Sunday, August 10, 2008

Bits of News

  • It's been fun watching the Olympics. Swimming, gymnastics, volleyball (regular and beach), water polo, cycling, fencing - when else can you see all these sports? Since I don't follow any professional or college sports teams, I almost never watch sports, and it's fun to indulge in these interesting sports during the two weeks of Olympics. I'm most looking forwards to the triathlon and the 10K swimming events, but I've enjoyed watching pretty much everything broadcast. Even the on-line stuff is cool (handball, equestrian), NBC put together a nice web site. Of course, being the idiots that we are, I called to downgrade our cable service to the very basic channels about two weeks ago - Duh!
  • We went to the museum today (Air & Space here in town) and saw an IMAX film in 3-D (Sea Monsters). It was good!
  • I had another x-ray done of my toe, and it's healing up nicely. I'm about two weeks out from starting to run again, but I've been picking up more and more time on the bike, and will get back into the pool probably this week.
  • Dad is going to end up having surgery on his hand (poor guy), that is scheduled later this week. He's going to have some pins put into the bones.
  • I've been trying to incorporate some daily Spanish lessons into my life. I've been using a Podcast called Coffee Break Spanish (a very fun podcast with a Scottish couple teaching Spanish, great accents) and our Rosetta Stone computer program. It's proceeding exceptionally slowly. My desire to speak Spanish seems to greatly outweigh the effort I put into it.
  • In case anyone was wondering on the "guess the photos" from two previous posts: iPod, $20 dollar bill, iPhone "button", back side of a credit card ("3" embossed in the hologram part), top of a blueberry, and a peacock feather.

No comments: