Sunday, July 27, 2008

Rich breaks one for the team


The West Hills Health Care Clinic's softball team, "The Antibodies" were a bit short today, so Dad (Rich Schieber) graciously stepped-up to fill in.
Unfortunately, while fielding the first ball his way, he fell onto the ground (but managed to get the ball back to the infield). He scraped his knee, mildly pulled a leg muscle and hurt his hand.
He had 4 at-bats after that and several more outfield plays before the game finished. After the game he showed me his hand. It had a large swelling to the back of it, and upon examining it, I could feel bone pieces grating along his 4th metacarpal. So, DAD BROKE HIS HAND.
Now, I am not sure what kind of weird fates are circling over the male Schiebers recently, but I'd suggest soft, gentle activities for Randy for the next couple months.
I took him to the office after the game and got him into an ulna-gutter splint, and made an appointment for him to follow-up with Dr. Nyquist tomorrow. This is his first confirmed (well, I'm 90% sure, he'll get an x-ray tomorrow) fracture in his 70 years of living. So here's to the Schieber men and their brittle bones!
My own toe fracture is doing fine. It has hurt a little more lately cause I've probably stressed it a bit too much. I'm going a bit batty having to sit around and not exercise. I have an appointment with a physical therapist at the office across from us tomorrow morning. I'm hoping he can get me into a bit of a regular strength training program, since that is sorely lacking with me.
Updates on Dad's (and my) condition as they become available.

No comments: