Thursday, July 31, 2008

Call Week

2:17 in the morning. I've just got home from the hospital, but I usually need some "unwinding" time before I return to bed.

On the whole, my time now compared to when I was delivering babies and having to admit patients from the practice and the ER is considerably better. Still, occasionally I'll get a nice confluence of events to make for a long day and a long week.

I got to the office at 6:00 am yesterday morning, and worked till 5:00 pm before leaving for the hospital to admit an unassigned "Peds" admission from the ER. After 3 hours in the ER with a very sick 16 year old girl I admitted to the ICU, it was back to the office to finish up my work before finally getting home at 9:00 pm. After that 15 hour day I had 3 and a half hours at home (half of that sleeping) before being paged back to the hospital at 12:30 am for a stat C-section of one baby, an admission of another newborn, and a check on my still-very-sick ICU patient.

My foot's been sore with all the walking around and standing I've done today (it was fun trying to get a shoe cover over my boot for the operating room).

So I think I'll grab a small bowl of cereal, and head to bed in a half hour for 3 1/2 hours before I have to get up and do it all again.

1 comment: